The Firestray Story, How it Began




During the fires that took place in Greece in 2018 i went to help the burned animals as the videos i was watching were just heartbreaking.

We rescued 3 brother dogs among others.

The effort was enormous and we were exhausted at some point,  not as much as  physically,  but mostly emotionally. 

After days of thought and during our attempts to gather as many burned animals as we could, I was almost ready to take one for me.

Besides, i was living alone at the moment,  and i could use some company. 

The woman that had gathered more than 40 dogs was begging me to take at least one so she could sleep at some point. 

As i finaly found one that talked to me in my heart, I said to myself "That's it, this is the puppy for me". 

The most sweet face of a dog you will ever see. Little mad dog,  but still cute.

At the same time, the woman said, "Why don't you take his little brother too, he is the last puppy in the house and i could use some sleep for a change after so many days of exhaustion". 

I saw a small black labrador puppy, not moving,  not breathing almost, just staring the unknown. 

I said " This guy doesn't even move!"

Another woman volunteer, dog trainer,  told me that i should choose the black one, he is smart as hell and he has a great character. 

I was still having doubts, since what i was experiencing was a dog that didn't move or barg, just looking and relaxing but sending no energy whatsoever. 

Even so, I decided to take both with me.

I thought,  I will see them how they react in the house and then i will make my decision.

I decided  to take two for hospitality, until i find some family that wanted to  adopt them. 

As the time was passing by, i couldn't find any, and soon i couldn't keep them both. 

I decided to keep one, but i couldn't decide which. 

I decided to send back the black one, after one month of thought.

As i tried to put him in the car he didnt want to get in, as he just didn't want to come out of the house in the first place.

I was dragging him through over the stairs to put him into the car, but he was stubborn like a donkey. 

He still is actually...

When i put him in the car, he vomited two times. As i was still driving, he went to me from the back of the car and he press his head to my shoulder, like he was saying "keep me"...

I remember telling this story to a friend, and she told me"How many more signs do you need to finally realize that he was speaking to you?

That was it, the wheel turned over by itself and i was driving to my home without realizing it. 

Our journey had just began.

I called him Miles, from the jazz trumpet legend Miles Davis.

After that, i decided to dedicate my life saving strays and  give them as much quality of life as i can...


The Firestray Army

firestray.com 




Comments

Popular Posts